ABC7 Traffic Center
LIRR: Near normal commute expected Wednesday morning
NEW YORK (WABC) -- MTA Long Island Rail Road customers should anticipate a near normal rush hour Wednesday morning following the expected completion of efforts by Amtrak personnel to repair tracks and switches damaged Monday evening when an eastbound LIRR train derailed in one of Amtrak's East River tunnels.
Amtrak crews worked throughout the night and into the early morning hours to repair switches and 500 feet of track damaged by the derailment. When the overnight work is completed, all four tunnels will be operational and will support normal service for LIRR, NJT and Amtrak.
There were no injuries reported as a result of the incident, which happened on the 5:51 p.m. train to Hempstead on Monday.
Two cars of the 10-car train derailed. Amtrak workers were able to uncouple the first four cars still on the rail and move them east from the tunnel in the first hours of work. The rear four cars were later towed west toward Penn Station.
A preliminary assessment indicates that about 500 feet of track and approximately eight switches were damaged.
The point of derailment and the exact cause are still under investigation.
For More Information:
Contact the LIRR's Customer Service Center by calling 511, the New York State Travel Information Line and say "Long Island Rail Road." If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider on the free 711 relay to reach the LIRR at 511. Customers can also consult the LIRR's web site at MTA.info/LIRR
mass transit, long island railroad, train accident, train, abc7 traffic center
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 55 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos