ABC7 Traffic Center
Fatal 1-car crash snarls morning commute on LIE
JERICHO (WABC) -- One person was killed in a crash that shut down the eastbound Long Island Expressway for more than three hours during the Friday morning commute.
The one-car crash happened at exit 42 in Jericho, near the crossover to the Northern State Parkway just after 3:30 a.m.
It appeared the car bounced off the center divider before careening back across the roadway and coming to a stop on the right shoulder.
The 47-year-old man driving the Nissan SUV was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Traffic was being diverted to the service road at the Jericho Turnpike exit at Route 106/107. The highway reopened just after 7 a.m.
long island, long island expressway, accident, abc7 traffic center
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 25 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane
35 min ago