ABC7 Traffic Center
Fatal 1-car crash snarls morning commute on LIE
JERICHO (WABC) -- One person was killed in a crash that shut down the eastbound Long Island Expressway for more than three hours during the Friday morning commute.
The one-car crash happened at exit 42 in Jericho, near the crossover to the Northern State Parkway just after 3:30 a.m.
It appeared the car bounced off the center divider before careening back across the roadway and coming to a stop on the right shoulder.
The 47-year-old man driving the Nissan SUV was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Traffic was being diverted to the service road at the Jericho Turnpike exit at Route 106/107. The highway reopened just after 7 a.m.
long island, long island expressway, accident, abc7 traffic center
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner 9 min ago
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages 14 min ago
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos