ABC7 Traffic Center
Fatal 1-car crash snarls morning commute on LIE
JERICHO (WABC) -- One person was killed in a crash that shut down the eastbound Long Island Expressway for more than three hours during the Friday morning commute.
The one-car crash happened at exit 42 in Jericho, near the crossover to the Northern State Parkway just after 3:30 a.m.
It appeared the car bounced off the center divider before careening back across the roadway and coming to a stop on the right shoulder.
The 47-year-old man driving the Nissan SUV was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Traffic was being diverted to the service road at the Jericho Turnpike exit at Route 106/107. The highway reopened just after 7 a.m.
long island, long island expressway, accident, abc7 traffic center
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade 9 min ago
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 8 min ago
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
8 min ago