ABC7 Traffic Center
Thomas Predergast confirmed as new head of MTA
ALBANY -- The New York Senate has confirmed Thomas Prendergast as chairman and CEO of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the senate's confirmation Thursday night.
Since January, Prendergast had served as the MTA interim executive director. He succeeded Joseph Lhota, a Republican who resigned from the position to run for mayor.
Prendergast said in a statement the MTA faces challenges, such as improving service and rebuilding from Superstorm Sandy.
Prendergast has been CEO at TransLink in Vancouver, B.C., and began his career with the Chicago Transit Authority. He's also worked with the U.S. Department of Transportation.
He spent more than three years as president of MTA New York City Transit and six years as president of the Long Island Rail Road.
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
25 min ago