ABC7 Traffic Center
NJ Transit train, truck collide in Garfield
GARFIELD (WABC) -- New Jersey Transit's Bergen Line County is officially open after a train and truck collided Friday afternoon. Track work has been completed. Trains will operate temporarily at a reduced speed in the area of the accident.
Bergen Line train service was suspended in both directions shortly after the accident around 12:15 p.m. on Friday.
The accident happened at the Hobart Place crossing near the Plauderville station in Garfield.
According to NJ Transit, Bergen County Line Train 1255 operating from Hoboken to Ridgewood struck a tractor trailer that got stuck on the tracks. The locomotive of the six-car train derailed, and the tractor trailer overturned.
The force of the collision separated the cab from the tanker portion of the truck.
Investigators said the truck driver exited the vehicle prior to impact. He did not call 911, they said. They are looking into the amount of time from when he exited the truck until the impact.
38 passengers and 4 crew members were on the train at the time. NJ Transit says an engineer and a passenger suffered inuries. Both were taken to Hackensack University Medical Center, but the injuries were not believed to be serious. A third person refused medical attention.
NJ Transit had to move the tanker, which is loaded with plastic pellets. The pellets are not toxic. They were headed to a local Garfield business.
mass transit, new jersey transit, accident, abc7 traffic center
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case 47 min ago
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Orange County school evacuated after ceiling collapse
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos