ABC7 Traffic Center
Gas prices jump 17 cents along New Jersey toll roads
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- The price of a regular gallon of gas went up a whopping 17 cents on New Jersey toll roads Friday morning.
A gallon of gas on the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway will now cost you $3.55 instead of $3.38.
"There has been a slight decline in nationwide inventories in crude oil and gasoline," said Sal Risalbato, of the New Jersey Gasoline-Convenience-Automotive Association. "There has been, for the first time in awhile, a slight uptick of demand by motorists filling their cars. And that's the first uptick in a long while."
Still, the highways offer some of the cheapest gas in the area, and motorists are taking note. According to AAA, the average price of gas in New Jersey is $3.59 a gallon.
"I live on Staten Island, but I try to fill up in Jersey every chance I get," driver Tony Ablavskiy said.
Gas prices only increase once a week on the two highways, maintained by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority. The Authority surveys 100 gas stations, located off the highway, every Wednesday and Thursday to determine an average statewide price, and implements the increases Friday morning. The service area per-gallon cost cannot be more than 3 cents above that average price.
gas prices, travel, garden state parkway, new jersey turnpike, abc7 traffic center
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 5 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner 6 min ago
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages 11 min ago
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds