ABC7 Traffic Center
LIRR Ronkonkoma branch restored after person struck
RONKONKOMA (WABC) -- Long Island Rail Road service has resumed in both directions between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale after a train struck an unauthorized person on the tracks east of Deer Park.
The agency says the accident occurred on the Brentwood-North Bay Shore border early Friday morning.
The accident involved the 5:29 a.m. train from Ronkonkoma, due in Penn Station at 6:38 a.m. The person was struck around 5:50 a.m.
The LIRR says it's not clear if the victim was trying to cross the tracks or if the gates were functioning properly.
The accident remains under investigation.
The 8:15AM from Penn, due Ronkonkoma 9:39AM, was the first train to operate east of Farmingdale. The 9:11AM from Ronkonkoma, due Penn 10:32AM was the first westbound.
mass transit, abc7 traffic center
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion 35 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 10 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
39 min ago