ABC7 Traffic Center
Labor Day holiday weekend transit information
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The start of the Labor Day holiday weekend means more ways to get out of town without driving.
Increased outbound service from Penn Station and the Port Authority Bus Terminal began at 1 p.m. Friday.
The Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North and Staten Island Railway, are also adding trains to help holiday travelers stay off the roads.
All MTA services will operate on reduced schedules on Labor Day Monday.
Here is a breakdown of the changes:
Long Island Rail Road & Metro-North Railroad
On Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 2, Metro-North will operate on a Sunday schedule, and the LIRR will operate on a Sunday/holiday schedule.
New York City Subways and Buses
MTA New York City Transit subways and buses and MTA Bus Company buses will operate on a Sunday schedule on Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 2. Because of the J'Ouvert and West Indian-American Day Parades in Brooklyn on Labor Day, 4 trains will make local stops in Brooklyn, certain subway entrances in the parade area may be affected and buses in the area will be rerouted.
Staten Island Railway
Staten Island Railway will operate on a Sunday Schedule on Labor Day, Monday Sept. 2.
MTA Bridges and Tunnels
MTA Bridges and Tunnels will suspend all routine maintenance work at its seven bridges and two tunnels beginning 1 p.m. Friday, August 30, through the end of the morning rush on Tuesday, Sept. 3, to help smooth travel for those hitting the road for the Labor Day weekend.
On Labor Day, Monday, September 2, trains will operate on a weekend/major holiday schedule on all lines. Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekend schedule. Newark Light Rail will operate on a Saturday schedule. River Line will operate on a Sunday schedule. Bus schedules vary by route-customers are advised to check their timetables or visit njtransit.com for schedule information.
On weekends, kids ride free on NJT
Every weekend, families riding NJ TRANSIT can save with the Family Super Saver Fare, which allows two children 11 and younger to travel free with each fare-paying adult. For the Labor Day holiday weekend, the program will be in effect from 7 p.m. Friday, August 30 until 6 a.m. Tuesday, September 3.
mass transit, abc7 traffic center
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Charges expected in fraternity death 42 min ago
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Charges expected in fraternity death
42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
1 min ago