ABC7 Traffic Center
Route 139 in Jersey City opes after overnight repairs
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A portion of Route 139 in Jersey City where concrete fell is open again after it was closed for inspection and repairs overnight.
Repairs are expected to continue throughout the week, with overnight westbound closures, out of an abundance of caution to make sure no more concrete falls.
During those hours, traffic will be diverted to the upper level, the local Jersey City streets.
The inspections could go into the weekend or even next week.
During the inspections, the crews will tap the concrete with hammers and listen. The crews can tell where there may be internal separation of the concrete.
The state DOT is not expecting any more concrete to fall.
It is unknown what caused the concrete to fall on Wednesday. No one was injured.
This section of concrete was slated to be replaced during a full closure of the highway in 2014.
new jersey, jersey city, abc7 traffic center
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos