NEW HAVEN -- Rail commuters headed from Connecticut to New York City on Monday morning were greeted by a full complement of trains for the first time in nearly two weeks.
On Sept. 25, a failed electrical circuit cut power to Metro-North's busy New Haven line, forcing the agency to reduce rail service by half.
On Monday, the rail line returned to a full schedule of trains into Grand Central Terminal, thanks to a new electrical substation that had been activated at Mount Vernon, N.Y.
"We're good. We're back go full strength. No issues this morning," Metro-North spokesman Aaron Donovan said.
The return to normal should bring relief to Interstate 95, the Merritt Parkway and other highways in southwest Connecticut that were choked with commuters seeking alternative routes into New York.
Metro-North is refunding ticket holders who were unable to get train service during the 12-day outage.
Tens of thousands of commuters had to make other arrangements as the railroad tried to get by with a handful of diesel-powered trains, and then limited electric train service.
And Amtrak, which runs along the same corridor, advised passengers soon after the disruption that service in the Northeast would be significantly delayed. Acela Express service was suspended between New York and Boston, and service between New York and Washington was delayed.
The problem began when a Con Edison feeder-cable failure occurred during the construction of a $50 million substation intended to enable the railroad to increase service, Metro-North said.
RESOURCES
Metro North railroad information
PDF: Service map for inbound AM rush on the New Haven line
Eyewitness News Commuter Alert Traffic Center
Download our Alarm and Eyewitness News apps for traffic on the go
Join the ABC7NY Traffic Spotter group on Waze.
Get more ABC7 Traffic Center »
mass transit, metro north, abc7 traffic center
- Samsung office building evacuated due to car fires 15 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Shower 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC - Now available on Android Phones
- Search continues for missing autistic teen 35 min ago
- Person of interest questioned in subway attack 20 min ago
- New surveillance video released in Queens sex attack
- Senate leader announces bipartisan budget deal
- Decision day in New Jersey Senate special election
- Lhota releases ad warning crime will rise if de Blasio wins
- CT man charged with making explosives inside home
- Giant sea creature found off California
- Photos: Elton John AIDS Foundation fundraiser
- Photos: Kangaroo jumps around airport in Australia
3.

- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Shower
15 min ago
Traffic links
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- 7online home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., WABC-TV/DT New York, NY. All Rights Reserved.




