ABC7 Traffic Center
Full Metro-North New Haven service restored Monday
NEW HAVEN -- Rail commuters headed from Connecticut to New York City on Monday morning were greeted by a full complement of trains for the first time in nearly two weeks.
On Sept. 25, a failed electrical circuit cut power to Metro-North's busy New Haven line, forcing the agency to reduce rail service by half.
On Monday, the rail line returned to a full schedule of trains into Grand Central Terminal, thanks to a new electrical substation that had been activated at Mount Vernon, N.Y.
"We're good. We're back go full strength. No issues this morning," Metro-North spokesman Aaron Donovan said.
The return to normal should bring relief to Interstate 95, the Merritt Parkway and other highways in southwest Connecticut that were choked with commuters seeking alternative routes into New York.
Metro-North is refunding ticket holders who were unable to get train service during the 12-day outage.
Tens of thousands of commuters had to make other arrangements as the railroad tried to get by with a handful of diesel-powered trains, and then limited electric train service.
And Amtrak, which runs along the same corridor, advised passengers soon after the disruption that service in the Northeast would be significantly delayed. Acela Express service was suspended between New York and Boston, and service between New York and Washington was delayed.
The problem began when a Con Edison feeder-cable failure occurred during the construction of a $50 million substation intended to enable the railroad to increase service, Metro-North said.
mass transit, metro north, abc7 traffic center
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide