ABC7 Traffic Center
Weekend PATH suspensions to clean salt from Sandy
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A commuter alert this weekend for those who take PATH trains.
Service at the World Trade Center and Exchange Place stations is suspended, and the suspensions continue for the next three weekends.
Crews are cleaning up corrosive salt left by water that swamped tunnels and equipment during Superstorm Sandy.
Riders should use the 33rd Street line instead. Service won't be restored until 4:45 Monday morning.
The work is the start of a $50 million authorization approved last month by the Port Authority.
Sandy's unprecedented flooding of PATH tunnels and infrastructure left behind a salt residue that could not entirely be cleaned during the efforts to restore service in the months after the storm. Workers will power wash the tunnels between the stations to remove corrosive salt deposits.
Restoration work to repair and replace compromised power and communication cables, rails, and trackside equipment also will occur on these weekends.
Impacts to World Trade Center to Newark (WTC-NWK) and NWK-WTC service on 11/8, 11/15, and 11/22 [Friday nights] · The last departure from WTC is 11:55 p.m., arriving at NWK at 12:17 a.m. · The last departure from NWK is 11:20 p.m., arriving at WTC at 11:42 p.m.
There are no impacts to WTC-Hoboken (HOB) and HOB-WTC service on 11/8, 11/15, and 11/22 [Friday nights] · The last departure from WTC is 10:56 p.m., arriving at HOB at 11:06 p.m. · The last departure from HOB is 11:11 p.m., arriving at WTC at 11:21 p.m.
The World Trade Center and Exchange Place stations will be reopened each Monday at approximately 4:45 a.m. The first departing train out of NWK to WTC will be at 4:35 a.m. and the WTC to NWK train will be at 5:10 a.m.
Passengers traveling to Lower Manhattan on these weekends should use the Journal Square (JSQ)-33rd (via HOB) line and connect to New York City (NYC) Transit subways or buses in Manhattan. (A separate fare payment is required.)
Passengers traveling to Grove Street from NWK or Harrison should transfer at JSQ for JSQ-33rd (via HOB) line.
The West Concourse at WTC, providing an underground connection to Brookfield Place, will remain open and accessible during these weekend outages.
mass transit, superstorm sandy, path train, abc7 traffic center
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 38 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 35 min ago
- Missing jet drastically veered off course 32 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
14 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos