ABC7 Traffic Center
Tips and links for surviving Thanksgiving travel woes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Nasty weather headed toward the East Coast threatens to dampen holiday spirits as millions of Americans get ready to travel for Thanksgiving.
Storms have already caused major problems parts of the southwest and south, causing hundreds of flights to be cancelled. As the storm continues east, some of the country's busiest airports in New York, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Boston and Charlotte, N.C., could see big delays.
Delta Air Lines has already issued a travel advisory for both JFK and LaGuardia allowing people to change their flights that are going out on Wednesday the 27th without a penalty, and without a change fee.
If weather slows down your holiday travel, here are some tips for rebooking flights and getting last-minute hotel rooms:
- Use apps like HotelTonight and Priceline to find last-minute hotel discounts for that night. Warning: Many of the rooms are non-refundable when booked.
- If you miss your flight connection - or bad weather causes delays - get in line to speak to a customer service representative. But also, call the airline directly. If the phone lines are jammed, try the airline's overseas numbers. You'll pay long-distance rates, but might not have to wait. (Add those numbers to your phone now.) Finally, consider sending a Tweet to the airline.
- Consider buying a one-day pass to the airline lounge. For one thing, there are usually free drinks and light snacks. But the real secret to the lounges is that the airline staffs them with some of its best - and friendliest - ticket agents. The lines are shorter and these agents are magically able to find empty seats. One-day passes typically cost $50 but discounts can sometimes be found in advance online.
Subway and Rail Information
Here are links to information for everything from subway schedules and service interruptions, to rail schedules around New York and New Jersey
Here are contact numbers and links to information about bus service in the area, including MTA and NJTransit.
Links to Information about Area Airports and Airlines
air travel, train, travel, thanksgiving, hanukkah, abc7 traffic center
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 14 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 12 min ago
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 12 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
13 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
12 min ago