ABC7 Traffic Center
Storm slows Thanskgiving getaway
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The holiday getaway has been slow-going, but not terrible thanks to the stormy weather.
Penn Station was busy all day with people heading out of town, but no major issues have been reports.
New York's 3 major airports reported some delays, but not a huge number of cancellations.
The wind-driven rain storm made driving hazardous, but the conditions didn't cause the all-out gridlock many had feared.
Many travelers marveled at how orderly and anxiety-free the airports were during what is typically one of the busiest days of the year.
By midday Wednesday, around 250 flights to, from or within the U.S. had been canceled, according to the tracking website FlightAware.com. But that was a small fraction of the thousands of planes airborne over the U.S. at any given moment. Most of the cancellations involved Newark, LaGuardia and Philadelphia.
The longest delays affected Philadelphia-bound flights, which were being held at their points of origin for an average of about two hours because of the weather, according to the website.
The Philadelphia area was under a flood watch, with 2 to 3 inches of rain forecast before falling temperatures turn precipitation to snow.
Roads there were snarled. A multi-vehicle crash closed the westbound lanes of the Schuylkill Expressway for a while, and the eastbound lanes were closed temporarily because of flooding.
For the most part, though, the storm wasn't as bad as feared.
Subway and Rail Information
Here are links to information for everything from subway schedules and service interruptions, to rail schedules around New York and New Jersey
Here are contact numbers and links to information about bus service in the area, including MTA and NJTransit.
Links to Information about Area Airports and Airlines
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, abc7 traffic center
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
6 min ago