ABC7 Traffic Center
GWB repairs will close westbound upper level lanes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The next phase of repair work at the George Washington Bridge will close three of the four upper level westbound lanes Sunday night.
The lanes will be shut between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday, allowing contractors to replace steel deck panels on the deck.
The work forced the closure of the lanes in both directions from Saturday night into Sunday morning.
Motorists traveling across the Hudson River in either direction during these times should consider alternate routes such as the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel, or use the lower level of the George Washington Bridge.
The Port Authority says this work should minimize the chance of another emergency closure during the holidays, like the ones that have backed up traffic for miles three times over the past month.
At the completion of work Monday morning, all construction will be suspended throughout the holidays and will resume in mid-January. The project is expected to be completed in March.
To learn more about the upper-level deck replacement project, visit http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/gwb-upper-deck-steel-rehab.html.
For up-to-the-minute traffic updates at all Port Authority crossings, motorists are encouraged to sign up for Port Authority alerts at http://www.paalerts.com/
george washington bridge, abc7 traffic center
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault 29 min ago
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze 29 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash 17 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
30 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex...
29 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
15 min ago
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
29 min ago