February 1: A Celebration 100 Years in the Making
How do you celebrate your 100th birthday?
If you're the Grand Central Terminal, you fill the day (February 1) with lots of exhibits, special offers, performances, speakers, entertainment, photo opportunities and much more!
It's only fitting to mark such a milestone for one of the world's most cherished iconic buildings, one that has brightened the days of both commuters and visitors alike throughout the decades.
Here's a rundown of some of the activities that will taking place on the Main Concourse:
- 9:30-10a.m: Presentation of colors.West Point Brass & Percussion concert and presentation of colors by West Point's Cadet Color Guard..
- 10-11:30 a.m.: Opening ceremony. Hosted by Eyewitness News anchor Liz Cho, the event will feature entertainment and presentations by more than a dozen familiar faces including actress Cythnia Nixon, author and preservationist Caroline Kennedy, Grammy winner Melissa Manhcaster and New York Mets great Keith Hernandez.
- Noon-12:30 p.m.: Award ceremony. Among the awards to be bestowed: Honors from the Guinness Book of World Records, the National Railway Historical Society and the United States Postal Service.
- 1-4 p.m.: Celebrations continue. Music and dance performances will be provided by a variety of performers including contemporary dance troupe Keigwin + Company, the Knicks City Dancers and Kids, the Westchester Philharomonic Brass Octet and cast members of the upcoming musical Orphan Train.
- 7-9 p.m.: More music. Visitors can continue to dance with music being provided courtesy of the Rhythm Collective and Grammy-winning big band Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks.
- Pescatore: Shrimp for 19 cents each. Mussels and clams for 13 cents each.
- Central Watch: Nylon watch straps for 10 cents each. Note: Limited to first 500 customers. Limit one per customer.
- Oyster Bar & Restaurant: 19 cents for a slice of cheesecake. Note: Dine-in only
- TOTO: $2 for 100 percent silk scarves.
- Ciao Bella: 10 cents for a bambini scoop of gelato or sorbet.
- Grand Central Centennial luggage tags
- Vintage train whistles from Target
- Swatch pens from Swatch
- Mini men's and women's fragrance bottles from Vince Camuto
- "23" cookies from Michael Jordan's The Steak House N.Y.C.
- Chocolate Hearts from Li-Lac Chocolates
On February 1, guests are also encouraged to check out "Grand by Design," a multi-media exhibition that chronicles how Grand Central helped to shape the modern New York we know -- and help determine its future.
For more information, including a full rundown of events and special promotions for Grand Central Terminal at 100, click here!.
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 18 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 23 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 4 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32