Rell says Conn. EOC to remain open after storm
HARTFORD, Conn. -- Connecticut's Emergency Operations Center is scheduled to remain open in the aftermath of a winter storm that dropped more than a foot of snow in some areas of the state.
Gov. M. Jodi Rell says the center will remain open on Tuesday to assist cities and towns in providing services for residents still without power.
The state's dominant utility, Connecticut Light and Power, reported early Tuesday that only about 1,100 of its more than 1.2 million customers statewide were without power. United Illuminating reported less than 100 outages.
The storm knocked out power Monday to more than 30,000 customers across Connecticut, but the governor said the state was lucky to escape the worst from a blizzard that dropped much more snow on other areas of the Northeast.
Some train and bus service was canceled and the storm was blamed for several car accidents, but no major damage was reported.
"All in all we really did catch a bit of a break," Rell said. She added that Connecticut also benefited from the timing of the storm, which came when schools were closed for vacation and state workers had a furlough day.
Snowfall totals ranged from about 7 inches in the Hartford area to 15 inches in southwestern Connecticut, compared with nearly 3 feet reported in parts of New Jersey.
holiday blizzard, winter storm, snow, snow storm, accuweather
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 47 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
47 min ago