NY, NJ area roads impassable after storm
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Many Tri-State area residents are waking up Monday wondering: Where are the plows?!
Roadways are littered with stuck and abandoned cars. There are numerous reports of motorists stranded in vehicles across the region.
Primary roads in New York City are being plowed, but secondary roads are mostly unplowed. That has caused cars, buses and ambulances to get stuck in the snow.
Streets turned into sidewalks as pedestrians tried to avoid walking through huge drifts. Cabs were hard to come by in the early morning, and bus and subway issues made it difficult for anyone to get around the city.
Throughout the night, New Jersey state police patrols assisted countless disabled vehicles and investigated numerous minor traffic accidents. All roadways throughout the region are snow covered and remain extremely slippery. The police continue to urge all motorists to avoid non-emergency travel. Interstate 84 remains closed. The entrance ramps from I-287 onto I-684 are closed due to tractor trailers stuck in the snow. DOT continues efforts to plow snow and open roadways.
Road conditions continue to get worse as strong winds cover plowed roads and ramps to and from the Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike, making them impassable. Colonel Rick Fuentes, Director of the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management, and DOT Commissioner Jim Simpson are both out in the North Jersey area in 4x4 vehicles. Both concur that all motorists should avoid travel at all until roads are cleared.
Interstate 280 in East Orange has been re-shut in both directions to try to allow plows to pass through that area. Numerous vehicles are stuck and about 60 people have been moved to shelters from Interstate 280. Col. Fuentes has been actually transporting stranded motorists in his vehicle.
holiday blizzard, winter storm, snow, snow storm, accuweather
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 29 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 28 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act 17 min ago