Garbage piles up as snow delays collection
NEW YORK (WABC) -- With sanitation trucks either plowing or getting stuck, garbage collections in the biggest city in the country have ground to a halt.
But life hasn't, and the garbage is piling up faster than the snow did.
But snow doesn't smell.
With no garbage collection since last week, a Christmas tree in a snow bank looks a lot better than the snow covered black bags that have burst and are piling up.
"It's not easy, it's tough. But we gotta go with it. No other choice right now," superintendent Frank Armeni said.
The Department of Sanitation asked New Yorkers on Monday not to put out garbage, since their crews would be focused on snow removal and also because the bags get buried in the snow.
"We won't get into collection until sometime next week," said Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty.
But the curb is the only option for Armeni, a super at five Upper West Side buildings.
"The automated service says that if you haven't put it out please not to. But if it's out, you can leave it out," he said. "We have no choice, we have no place to store the garbage."
A limited number of trucks are working on an operation called crosswalks and corner caps to empty the trash baskets and clear the sidewalks.
Some supers are placing bags in basements until they can be collected next week.
holiday blizzard, winter storm, snow, snow storm, accuweather
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos 19 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident 50 min ago
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos