Snow for some, messy for most
SPARTA, N.J. (WABC) -- An April Fools' storm brought a touch of snow to parts of the New York area on Friday, but the joke's really on New England.
While the City saw a mix of rain, sleet and snow, and no accumulations, parts of North Jersey and some of the northern suburbs saw a few inches.
The storm hit hardest in New England, reating a late-season winter wonderland that sent scores of cars sliding off roads, knocked out power for thousands and gave kids a surprise reprieve from school.
Falling tree limbs knocked out electricity for nearly 60,000 homes and businesses in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island at the storm's peak, officials said. Scores of cars and trucks slid off roads, but there were no reports of serious injuries.
Parts of Maine and New Hampshire were expected to see upward of a foot of snow, but the storm failed to live up to its billing elsewhere.
In Massachusetts, Fitchburg got 8.1 inches and Boylston saw 7.7 inches, and the numbers tapered to the south. Eastern New York and western Massachusetts were expected to get about 2 to 3 inches of snowfall, far less than originally forecast.
Skiers weren't complaining.
John Olif, 23, of Killington, Vt., had made three runs down the mountain by 9:30 a.m. Friday and was tickled.
"Last year at this time, everything was melting. But it's mid-February out here pretty much. It's definitely a treat," he said. "It's 100 percent open and it's April 1. It's a powder day on April Fools', not a joke or anything."
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
new jersey, sparta, new england, snow storm, snow, accuweather
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
51 min ago