Elderly NY Irene victim had survived Holocaust
NEW YORK -- A Hasidic community leader in Brooklyn says the 82-year-old woman who drowned in the Catskills during Tropical Storm Irene had survived the Holocaust.
State police in Delaware County said Rozalia Gluck of Brooklyn was vacationing in the village of Fleischmanns, 40 miles northwest of Kingston, when the cabin where she was staying was swamped by flooding Sunday morning.
Advocate Isaac Abraham says Gluck was born in Krasna, Romania and spent time in a concentration camp during the Holocaust. She had five children, about 45 grand-children and a number of great-grandchildren.
He says Gluck was buried Sunday night in Kiryas Joel in Orange County.
hurricane irene, hurricane, tropical storm, accuweather
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos