Strong storms pound parts of the area
NEW YORK (WABC) -- After a couple of days of extreme heat, severe thunderstorms pounded communities around the New York area.
Heavy storms hit towns along the Jersey Shore with rain and hail. Several inches had fallen in places like Manahawkin, New Jersey by mid-afternoon.
Storms also caused service delays on the LIRR, and even knocked out service completely between Brooklyn and Queens for a time because of signal problems.
In Mineola, Long Island, firefighters were trapped in a truck after power lines had fallen on their truck. The lines were removed and everyone is safe.
Trees were knocked down in Carle Place, creating quite a mess. No reports of any major damage there.
North of the City, severe weather knocked out power to more than 27,000 customers across Connecticut. Thunderstorms swept across the state, toppling trees and flooding several roads. State police warned commuters to watch for water on highways.
Four airplanes destined for New York City were diverted to Bradley International Airport due to thunderstorms.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 1 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 21 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn 4 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in...
4 min ago
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos