Snow blankets parts of the New York area
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Snow fell over parts of New Jersey and New York on Tuesday, while places closer to the coast and most of New York City only got rain.
When you are up against the elements, there's very little you can control.
So as Town of Clarkstown employee Kenny Kunz knows, you do your best to prepare.
"Try to stay on top of it and do the best we can," Kunz said.
That's what this community like so many others is doing. They are laying the foundation for what they hope will be an uneventful morning commute on Wednesday.
The trucks are tossing salt onto area roads.
"The temperature is going to drop," said Wayne Ballard, Superintendent of Highways.
"Tonight when the temperatures drop to 29, 23, that's when it's all going to start to set up. But, if the salt is there and it doesn't get washed away by the rain, the concentrations will be high enough that'll take care of it," Ballard said.
That's the plan after a full day of fighting ice and snow in the Town of Clarkstown.
Crews have been pulling long shifts to get the job done.
So far the roads look pretty good, but there are still several hours to go and miles of road and traffic to stay in front of.
Workers aren't looking back, they're focused on what's ahead.
"Hopefully it doesn't get too cold where you have black ice," Kunz said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
snow, snow storm, new york state, new york city, new jersey, connecticut, mass transit, new jersey transit, westchester county, accuweather, jeff pegues
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 58 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
58 min ago