EF1 tornado confirmed in Bergen County
PARAMUS, N.J. (WABC) -- The National Weather Service says an EF1 tornado touched down in Paramus Monday.
The estimated maximum wind speeds were 100 miles an hour.
The most significant damage was in George Washington Memorial Park Cemetary in Paramus, and in the Paramus Golf and Ridgewood Country Clubs.
Trees were snapped and uprooted.
As a line of severe thunderstorms moved Northeast, the weather service says a portion of the line accelerated and produced a weak tornado as it moved across Bergen County.
A tornado is classified as EF1 when wind speeds are 86 to 110 miles an hour.
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 4 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
17 min ago