EF1 tornado confirmed in Bergen County
PARAMUS, N.J. (WABC) -- The National Weather Service says an EF1 tornado touched down in Paramus Monday.
The estimated maximum wind speeds were 100 miles an hour.
The most significant damage was in George Washington Memorial Park Cemetary in Paramus, and in the Paramus Golf and Ridgewood Country Clubs.
Trees were snapped and uprooted.
As a line of severe thunderstorms moved Northeast, the weather service says a portion of the line accelerated and produced a weak tornado as it moved across Bergen County.
A tornado is classified as EF1 when wind speeds are 86 to 110 miles an hour.
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Possible 'knockout' attack on Lower East Side
- Brooklyn school officials face discipline for not reporting...
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors 39 min ago
- Mariano Rivera rescues, renovates New Rochelle church
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos