1st snowflakes fall as arctic air blasts northeast
RAMSEY (WABC) -- The coldest temperatures of the season so far are in town Tuesday and Wednesday, with temperatures dropping steadily.
The bitter blast also brought some rain and the first snowflakes of the season across the New York area, particularly to the north and west of New York City and in northern New Jersey on Tuesday.
Residents in Bergen County awoke to a few flurries early in the morning, and Eyewitness News reporter Anthony Johnson was pelted with sleet in Ramsey. It is unusually cold for this time of the year, with wind chills only registering in the 20s and even the teens.
There was no accumulation, but the conditions made for a tricky morning commute.
In Westchester County, temperatures were plummeting by the minute. This allowed early drizzle to change over to some light snow in White Plains.
Further north, snow showers overnight in the Buffalo area caused slippery roads and some car accidents. Authorities tell The Buffalo News that icy conditions caused a one-car accident in Buffalo and a multi-vehicle crash in Tonawanda, but there were no serious injuries.
There were also reports of power outages in Hamburg and Orchard Park.
The same system brought the earliest snow to the Chicago area since 2006. It wasn't enough to stick, but it did coat some cars.
And in western Pennsylvania, streets were covered because of the lake effect snow. Temperatures in Erie were well below freezing prior to daybreak.
new jersey news, new jersey, bergen county, ramsey, westchester county, white plains, snow, accuweather
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 16 min ago
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 13 min ago
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
53 min ago