1st snowflakes fall as arctic air blasts northeast
RAMSEY (WABC) -- The coldest temperatures of the season so far are in town Tuesday and Wednesday, with temperatures dropping steadily.
The bitter blast also brought some rain and the first snowflakes of the season across the New York area, particularly to the north and west of New York City and in northern New Jersey on Tuesday.
Residents in Bergen County awoke to a few flurries early in the morning, and Eyewitness News reporter Anthony Johnson was pelted with sleet in Ramsey. It is unusually cold for this time of the year, with wind chills only registering in the 20s and even the teens.
There was no accumulation, but the conditions made for a tricky morning commute.
In Westchester County, temperatures were plummeting by the minute. This allowed early drizzle to change over to some light snow in White Plains.
Further north, snow showers overnight in the Buffalo area caused slippery roads and some car accidents. Authorities tell The Buffalo News that icy conditions caused a one-car accident in Buffalo and a multi-vehicle crash in Tonawanda, but there were no serious injuries.
There were also reports of power outages in Hamburg and Orchard Park.
The same system brought the earliest snow to the Chicago area since 2006. It wasn't enough to stick, but it did coat some cars.
And in western Pennsylvania, streets were covered because of the lake effect snow. Temperatures in Erie were well below freezing prior to daybreak.
new jersey news, new jersey, bergen county, ramsey, westchester county, white plains, snow, accuweather
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Child, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 22 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos