Cold makes it difficult to get around
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The bitter cold is making it difficult for all to stay warm.
Many homes and businesses in the Claremont section of the Bronx had no electricity and, more importantly, no heat.
The gusty winds also made it difficult for anyone who needed to get around outside, especially those forced to work in it.
"It feels like little needles are going into my face," said one man, who was walking outside.
You don't want to stay outside too long without layering up.
Rough winds brought down a tree in Claremont.
Crews worked to restore the power, but the wind continued to make it difficult for those working in it and those just walking around.
Authorities are recommending that residents bundle up if you have to go outside.
If you are having problems with heat in the city, you are urged to call 311.
Newark Mayor Cory Booker is reminding residents that as arctic temperatures pummel the city, Newark's hotline to report heat emergencies is open. Tenants in unheated apartments can complain directly to the "No Heat Hotline" at (973) 733-6471.
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 25 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway 20 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station 28 min ago
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn. 26 min ago
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Parts of Saw Mill Parkway remain closed due...
19 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos