Champion beagle hails from Illinois
BELLEVILLE, Ill. (WLS) -- He's one regal beagle with Illinois roots.
Uno, a dog bred in Belleville, Ill., lived up his name when he became the first beagle to win Best in Show at the Westminster Kennel Club show on February 13, 2008. The show is the nation's biggest canine competition.
The crowd chanted Uno's name and exploded into applause and cheers when the beagle was picked named numero uno at Madison Square Garden. He beat out two poodles, a terrier, a Weimaraner, an Australian shepherd and an Akita.
More than 2,500 dogs from 169 breeds and varieties competed at the 132nd Westminster show.
Uno's breeder, Kathy Weichert, owns K-Run Kennels in Belleville. She is one of the dog's four co-owners, who are known collectively as "Team Uno."
Weichert has been breeding beagles for 12 years.
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side 30 min ago
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say 3 min ago
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released 20 min ago
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- More goats found dead in Ill. animal cruelty case
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All 36 min ago