New Chicago curfew rules go into effect
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Chicago police are reminding the public about an upcoming change in the city's curfew ordinance.
Beginning Saturday night, the curfew hours for minors are 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 p.m. until 6 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.Chicago police officials say they have already issued more than 3,000 curfew violations to minors in so far this year. They are asking patrol officers to use common sense judgment in issuing violations after the new curfew hours take effect. Residents say it's not unusual for kids to be outside after nightfall, especially they say, in the summer when there's no school: Chicago police say the majority of child crime victims are attacked after nightfall and that many of the crimes committed by children occur during the same period. Officers in the near West Side's twelfth police district held a public roll call Saturday night to highlight the entire Chicago department's new emphasis on arresting curfew violators and taking the children home to their parents. And if the parents aren't there. "They bring the child back to the station... and locate the parent," said Lt. Frances Camacho, Chicago Police Department. On the West Side, Ceasefire worker Tim White says in many cases...the cops will not find the parents. "Some could be at work... it depends," he said. White said Ceasefire supports the earlier curfew but said it needs to be accompanied by more supervised recreational activities for young people: "You gotta know where they are," he said. Because of the Holiday Sudnay and the cold weather forecast for Saturday night, police do not expect very much enforcement activity for this weekend.
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Man in custody in fatal hit-and-run on West Side, police say 11 min ago
- Boston Marathon 2014 begins under strong security
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Florida sinkhole threatens 2 Orlando-area homes
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77