Someone You Should Know
Zither Orchestra makes history
At 95 years old, the Chicago Zither Orchestra is the oldest of its kind.
The musicians play instruments that are 2,000 years old. Zithers are well known in Germany and Austria, but not in the U.S. But, thanks to the Chicago Zither Orchestra, the instrument has a presence.
"It's like a soul. When you can create music and it makes you feel good. It has everything in it from the bass to the rhythm to the melody," said Ludwig Kalbrunner, Zither player.
The group began 95 years ago and is the longest continuously performing Zither Orchestra in the nation.
"We've been playing...well, the club has been playing since 1913," said Janet Stressl, president. "And we feel we have a very precious tradition to continue here."
Fresh out of Columbia College, William Taylor did not know what a zither was until he became the orchestra's conductor four years ago.
"It's an honor. It really is an honor," said Taylor. "That's one of the few thing I tell people when they say, 'Oh your conducting.' I say, 'Yeah my orchestra's 95 years old.'"
"I just love playing. And, I like the continuous challenge of playing more and mode difficult music. I just love it," said Charlotte Geib.
"I like the challenge. It's a good mental challenge at this stage of the game," said Lewis Stessl.
On April 27, Chicago Zither Orchestra will present a spring concert at 5826 N. Elston Avenue.
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 8 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 33 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 24 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 25 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 11 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
52 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
8 min ago