Someone You Should Know
Zither Orchestra makes history
At 95 years old, the Chicago Zither Orchestra is the oldest of its kind.
The musicians play instruments that are 2,000 years old. Zithers are well known in Germany and Austria, but not in the U.S. But, thanks to the Chicago Zither Orchestra, the instrument has a presence.
"It's like a soul. When you can create music and it makes you feel good. It has everything in it from the bass to the rhythm to the melody," said Ludwig Kalbrunner, Zither player.
The group began 95 years ago and is the longest continuously performing Zither Orchestra in the nation.
"We've been playing...well, the club has been playing since 1913," said Janet Stressl, president. "And we feel we have a very precious tradition to continue here."
Fresh out of Columbia College, William Taylor did not know what a zither was until he became the orchestra's conductor four years ago.
"It's an honor. It really is an honor," said Taylor. "That's one of the few thing I tell people when they say, 'Oh your conducting.' I say, 'Yeah my orchestra's 95 years old.'"
"I just love playing. And, I like the continuous challenge of playing more and mode difficult music. I just love it," said Charlotte Geib.
"I like the challenge. It's a good mental challenge at this stage of the game," said Lewis Stessl.
On April 27, Chicago Zither Orchestra will present a spring concert at 5826 N. Elston Avenue.
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 39 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 29 min ago
- EB 80/94 closed at Cline by multi-vehicle crash 8 min ago
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters 37 min ago
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- Skokie fire lights up sky 26 min ago
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
29 min ago