Someone You Should Know
Zither Orchestra makes history
At 95 years old, the Chicago Zither Orchestra is the oldest of its kind.
The musicians play instruments that are 2,000 years old. Zithers are well known in Germany and Austria, but not in the U.S. But, thanks to the Chicago Zither Orchestra, the instrument has a presence.
"It's like a soul. When you can create music and it makes you feel good. It has everything in it from the bass to the rhythm to the melody," said Ludwig Kalbrunner, Zither player.
The group began 95 years ago and is the longest continuously performing Zither Orchestra in the nation.
"We've been playing...well, the club has been playing since 1913," said Janet Stressl, president. "And we feel we have a very precious tradition to continue here."
Fresh out of Columbia College, William Taylor did not know what a zither was until he became the orchestra's conductor four years ago.
"It's an honor. It really is an honor," said Taylor. "That's one of the few thing I tell people when they say, 'Oh your conducting.' I say, 'Yeah my orchestra's 95 years old.'"
"I just love playing. And, I like the continuous challenge of playing more and mode difficult music. I just love it," said Charlotte Geib.
"I like the challenge. It's a good mental challenge at this stage of the game," said Lewis Stessl.
On April 27, Chicago Zither Orchestra will present a spring concert at 5826 N. Elston Avenue.
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- 5 injured after truck crashes into grocery store 52 min ago
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd 13 min ago
- City: Kup statue not stolen, out for repairs 56 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 1 min ago
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Western closed St. Paul to Mofftt over weekend 16 min ago
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession 44 min ago
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake 14 min ago