Teen shot to death in Morgan Park community
CHICAGO (WLS) -- A Chicago public high school student was killed Sunday, two days before starting what would have been his junior year.
Terrence Jones, 16, was gunned down just steps away from his home on the Far South Side and minutes before his 9 p.m.
Police say he was playing basketball with friends at the Lamb playlot park at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday when several people approached them. One person opened fire.
Terrance's family says he dreamed of becoming a pharmacist.
"Everybody liked him. I don't know anybody who did not like him," said Shanaveon Pious, the victim's sister.
"That's some nonsense. It doesn't make sense. We're killing each other out here for no reason," Jerry Williams, the boy's brother-in-law, said.
Terrance Jones was taken to Advocate Christ Hospital where he later died.
There's now a small memorial in the park where the shooting happened in the 1400-block on West 109th Street in the city's Morgan Park neighborhood.
Family members insist the teenage boy, who was about to begin his junior year at Morgan park High School, was not in a gang. They are offering a small reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies after Bellwood shooting 21 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults 20 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies after...
21 min ago
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled...
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos