Picking the Right Tie and Shirt Combination
With the economy taking a toll on your budget, you may be having trouble finding that perfect and affordable gift for your special guy. For Valentine's Day, birthdays or Father's Day, you can give a stylish gift for only $15 thanks to The Tie Bar. The online retailer sells department-store quality silk ties for just $15. And if your guy really loves ties, The Tie Bar offers a "Tie of the Month Club." The company was founded by two Chicago attorneys who were tired of paying a lot of money for ties.
The Tie Bar CEO and Lead Designer Greg Shugar says you can add some flair to your man's wardrobe while helping him stand out at work in this tough economy. "Not only is this a great gift because it is affordable for the buyer," said Shugar. "But it is perfect for the man looking to update his professional wardrobe, which may help him secure a job in this tough market."
Shugar designs a new collection six times each year (every other month). Additionally, each month, they restock past designs that sell out quickly after their original release. The site offers ties in traditional, trendy and "trenditional" styles for men and boys. You can find bowties, ascots and pocket squares as well.
The site is perfect for men who hate to shop, but some might still be confused about how to pick the right shirt and tie combination. They often ask the women in their lives to help out. When it comes to fashion, many men are afraid to take chances, Shugar says. "Because male-to-male fashion advice or compliments are taboo in our society, the only positive feedback that a male can expect to hear about his wardrobe is from a woman," he adds. "So it is the woman's obligation to encourage and compliment a man into taking a new direction when dressing himself. Men's fashion evolves year after year, and while it may not always be obvious, people respond more favorably to men who are dressed better than others (both in a professional and personal situations)."
The first thing to note is that the rules have changed when it comes to matching ties with shirts, Shugar says. He offers some tips and examples to help you avoid fashion disasters.
- Striped and patterned shirts have become more and more popular in the last few years. Traditionally, men who would wear a striped/patterned shirt would opt for a solid tie (because it's safe)
- Times have changed. Pattern on pattern is not only now acceptable but thought of as 'fashion-forward'. Even stripes on stripes can be appropriate (but you have to be a bit more careful&) - Specific examples of matching a pattern over striped shirts. Here, note how one color of the tie matches or blends in with the shirt color
- Patterns between tie and shirt shouldn't be too similar. For example, don't wear plaid on plaid. Having said that, stripes on stripes can be appropriate where the width of the stripes is considerably different.
- Less traditional colors such as hues of purple and green are becoming popular staples in men's wardrobe.
- Colorful patterned pocket squares have also now become a popular addition to a man's look, and again, mixing and matching patterns and colors is becoming more and more popular.
- Matching shirt and tie color isn't necessary when dealing with power colors such as red and gold ties, with which you can pair with a light blue shirt.
- Ties with many different colors are best paired with a solid white shirt. The tie does the work.
- For women, Greg will discuss how to persuade their loved one to try something fashionably new in his life (most older men still abhor changing styles). - When it comes to fashion, many men are afraid to take chances. Because male-to-male fashion advice/compliments is taboo in our society, the only positive feedback that a male can expect to hear about his wardrobe is from a woman. So it is the woman's obligation to encourage and compliment a man into taking a new direction when dressing himself. Men's fashion evolves year after year, and while it may not always be obvious, people respond more favorably to men who are dressed better than others (both in a professional and personal situations).
For more information on selecting, tying and caring for ties, visit www.TheTieBar.com or call 877-888-TIES.
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side 58 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos