Sheriff announces top 10 most wanted gang members
February 9, 2009 (WLS) -- Lake County sheriff Mark Curran is taking on gang crime.
On Monday, he announced his list of the top 10 most wanted gang members. Since last year's list was unveiled, officers have captured 17 suspects.
Officials say gangs are on the rise and many are moving into the suburbs.
An agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Fire Arms described what happens as more gangs move into a community."Initially there's not a lot of violence because they don't have turf really to protect yet or turf to enforce. It's when the gangs start to encroach on each other and multiply in size they start to run into each other and they start to have border disputes and that's when the violence tends to pickup," said Andy Traver, ATF.
Traver says the large number of gang members in the city and the large police department drive many gangs to the suburbs.
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD