Daley: No change in deadly force policy
July 29, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The mayor said the Chicago Police Department is working to improve its existing policies, but has not officially changed anything.
Mayor Richard M. Daley said reports that the CPD had changed its police policy on deadly force in incidents involving felony cases where suspects fled the scenes in vehicles were incorrect.
Earlier Wednesday, a CPD spokesman told ABC7 the policy was going into effect this coming weekend. However, Daley said that's not the case.
The Chicago Police Department released a statement:
Over the last eighteen months, the Chicago Police Department has been working to improve officer safety and training in critical subjects and examining areas where existing orders and policies are in need of revision.
One of those areas relates to the use of deadly force against offenders inside moving vehicles.
The Department is currently reviewing the existing order to eliminate unnecessary language, provide officers with more clear direction and comply with nationally accepted best practices, as well as existing state statutes and federal law.
The Department has undertaken this endeavor in order to ensure that officers' and the public's safety are not compromised in situations involving the use of deadly force.
The review process is ongoing and will not be rushed. So, contrary to earlier news reports, no changes have been made to the Department's use of deadly force policy.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain 9 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault 8 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member 40 min ago
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence 38 min ago
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Dixon to receive $9.2M restitution in Crundwell case
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing...
9 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
8 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40...
1 min ago