World's Largest Steppers Contest
September 16, 2009 -- Chicago becomes the center of the world this weekend for fans of Steppin', ballroom-like dancing that originated in the city's African-American community and has spread across the country.
Hundreds of Steppers will be in town for the World's Largest Steppers Contest on Saturday night. Some will be dancing for the fun of it and others will be going after the grand prize of $5,000.
Every year for the past 19 years, the top Steppers from around the nation have gathered in Chicago to compete in the World's Largest Steppers Competition, which can be likened to the Super Bowl for Chicago Steppin'. The Majestic Gents, ChiStepper.com, and Dre and Company represent three of the nation's most prominent Steppers organizations, who have put together the "The World's Largest Weekend," highlighted by the championship dance contest.
The Opening Night Gala takes place on Friday, September 18 at Mr. G's, 1517 W. 87th St, Chicago. This kickoff event brings over 1,000 Steppers together for music, dancing, food, and networking. For tickets and information, visit www.chisteppers.com or call 773.858-7906 or 773.501-8269.
The main event will take place on Saturday, September 19, when Steppers, their families and friends gather at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Chicago to see World's Largest Steppers Contest. Various categories of dancers will compete for their portion of over $20,000 in cash prizes and trophies. This year, for only the third time in the contest's 19 year history, a Master's Competition will crown the very best of the best.
The weekend ends with a Steppers Brunch on Sunday at 2 pm at Mr. G's; tickets are $5 at the door.
The Majestic Gents steppers organization was founded by James (Pete) Frazier in 1996. The organization was formed to provide entertainment in the African American community that was positive, progressive and to promote black awareness. The Majestic Gents host steppers events five to seven times per year. The Majestic Gents currently consists of eight men and two women. This 10 member entourage span a variety of professions including construction worker, hair designer, computer consultant, accountant, fireman, policeman, carpenter, and designer/tailor.
For tickets to the World's Largest Steppers Contest, call 773. 339.7880 or visit www.wlscontest.com.
World's Largest Steppers Contest 9 pm on Saturday, September 19 Hyatt Regency Chicago 151 E. Wacker Dr. 773. 339.7880 or www.wlscontest.com
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- 7 in :77