Man accused of child molestation captured
October 24, 2009 (WLS) -- A personal trainer who was one of the most wanted fugitives in downstate Illinois has been captured by the Cook County Sheriff's Department's fugitive unit, Sheriff Tom Dart announced.
Authorities say Kenji L. Haley, 31, has been on the run since 2007, when he was charged with aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a child under the age of 10.
According to the sheriff's department, Haley is charged with committing 10 acts of molestation on one victim. Another investigation reportedly is under way into a possible second victim. Both were in Urbana, Ill.
Investigators say they suspect Haley targeted single mothers with young children, and they say Haley would stay with the women long enough to eventually be left alone with the children.
The sheriff's department is accusing Haley of molesting the children and threatening them, as well as presenting gifts to those he allegedly molested as a way to earn their silence.
Officers say they learned three weeks ago that Haley was living in Cook County and seeing as many as 10 women with young children.
According to authorities, Haley was taken into custody without incident Thursday after he was found at a house in the 8700-block of South Kingston in Chicago.
The sheriff's department says some parents who live near addresses visited by Haley reportedly told officers they knew him and that he had made inappropriate comments to young females in the neighborhood.
Sheriff's officers say they have opened an investigation into Haley for potential victims in Cook County, but he has been taken into custody by Champaign County authorities.
"Anyone who knows him can feel safe knowing he is custody," Sheriff Tom Dart said in news release distributed by a representative of the department. "We hope there are no other victims, but if there are, we certainly hope they feel strong enough to come forward to someone they trust and tell what happened."
According to the sheriff's department, Haley has had additional warrants issued for his arrest since the original warrant was issued. Authorities say he is wanted in Vermillion County for unlawful use of a credit card and in Champaign County for failure to pay more than $25,000 in child support.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery 46 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots
- Swimming pools upgrade project moving forward
- Blagojevich begins 3rd year in prison 59 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future 50 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years...
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz... 36 min ago
- Mujeres Latinas en Acción: Voces...
20 min ago