Family: Fatal Evanston explosion was suicide
September 15, 2010 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- New details have emerged about an explosion that claimed the life of a man in north suburban Evanston.
A passer-by discovered the headless body of 21-year-old Colin Dalebroux near Nichols Middle School early Tuesday.
A blast decapitated the man. The bomb squad detonated evidence of two pipe bombs found near his body.The school remained closed for a second day on Wednesday as police continued to investigate. Yellow police tape surrounds the adjacent Fitzsimmons Park, where nearby residents breathed a little easier.
"Unfortunately, I feel badly for this young man that he felt that life was so bad he had to do this to himself. But it was better than a random killer in the neighborhood," said Beverly Von Winckler, Evanston resident.
Late Wednesday Dalebroux's parents said in a statement they believed he committed suicide. "We are devastated that our beloved son... lost his 15-year battle with depression," the statement reads.
Dalebroux had no criminal record, though police in Madison, Wisconsin, where he last lived, say in June of 2009 they had two encounters with him, two days apart. Authorities there declined to say what the encounters were, only describing them as sensitive and non-criminal in nature.
Dalebroux lived in a corner ground-floor apartment in Evanston, just three blocks from where he died.
"He seemed like a nice guy. He had a girlfriend and once in a while they would smoke cigarettes at the front door," said Peter Wolf, neighbor.
Neighbors say he had just moved in, perhaps a couple months ago. His name isn't even in the resident call box.
"I noticed that he was to him himself. He stayed to himself. Whatever his business was, he went about his business," said another neighbor who did not want to be identified.
Police issued a statement late Wednesday afternoon, saying it appears Dalebroux acted alone, and that the public is in no immediate danger.Classes are expected to resume Thursday at Nichols Middle School.
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 29 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant