2 arrested, 1 on run in Homewood bank robbery
November 2, 2010 (HOMEWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- No customers or employees were injured during a robbery at a US Bank branch in Homewood Tuesday morning.
An FBI spokesperson tells ABC7 two suspects armed with automatic weapons entered the bank at 18300 South Kedzie in Homewood just before 11:30 a.m. Ten people- including customers and staff- were in the building at the time. A witness called in a theft in progress to 911. "Local police responded and exchanged gunfire with the robbers," according to a statement from the FBI.
Officers from both Homewood and Hazel Crest police departments met the suspects outside the bank and exchanged gunfire. The suspects dropped the bags of cash on the ground outside.
"I'm shook up. I get a phone call basically telling me that someone got shot at the bank. So my first reaction is to get there. Is it my sister? You know, is she OK? So, I feel a little bit better-- but until I actually hear from her and hear her, listen to her, hear her voice and know that she's OK& I'll calm down then," said Delores Smith, bank manager's sister.
"We never like to see crime, especially violent crime in any of our communities. But it shows that the officers took it very seriously, responded in a timely manner and were able to make arrests," Police Chief Larry Brunson, Homewood Police Department, said.
Two suspects -- Tiffany Jones, 23, of Robbins, and Justice McCallister, 36, of Robbins-- were taken into custody. Jones is in good condition at South Suburban Hospital after being shot in the shoulder. A third suspect who was driving the getaway car remains at large, according to the FBI.
Both Jones and McCallister have records including weapons offenses, according to police.
No charges have been filed, but FBI officials said more information will be released as it becomes available.
The bank was closed for the day, according to a US Bank spokeswoman.
local, karen jordan
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 47 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant