Gunman sought in Bellwood murder
December 8, 2010 (MAYWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Family members say Anthony Moody, who was fatally shot in Bellwood on Monday, was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Moody, 23, was in the car with his cousin when he was fatally shot Monday. Police are searching for a gunman.
His friends and family say he was a good man who had moved away from neighboring Maywood in high school to escape the violence in the community. He attended Proviso East High School for one year before moving to Atlanta. After graduating from Indiana State University, Moody returned to Proviso East to help coach football over the summer.
"He was definitely a leader. He led by example, just a great kid, a great kid, great heart. I remember when I coached him when he was a little guy when I first started coaching. The littlest guy out there. His helmet was bigger than his whole body, but he wasn't scared of anything. I'd ask him to do any kind of drill. He would do it against the bigger guys. He was all heart," said Aaron Peppers, former Proviso East football coach.
Moody wanted to be a full-time coach, according to his family, but was currently working part-time as a fan photographer for the Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox.
"I shouldn't be burying my little brother in three days. We need him, and I want the people to know who did this they hurt a lot of people really bad," said sister Chanel Moody. "He lit up every room he walked in, don't matter what the mood was. He meant a lot to a lot of people."
Relatives say the cousin-- 24-year-old Jerry Thomas-- Moody was with at the time of the shooting has a criminal record, but Moody continued to hang out with him. Police say they have had encounters with Thomas.
The investigation continues and no arrest has been made as of Wednesday morning.
local, jessica donofrio
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- NIU hazing death case in court 44 min ago
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed 38 min ago
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Emanuel: CPS graduation rate on-track to reach 82 percent in 2014
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- Man charged after car chase, Roseland bus stop crash
- Russell Wilson divorce from wife Ashton Russell announced
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos