Sailor struck, killed by Metra train in Highwood
February 10, 2011 (HIGHWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- A sailor from California was killed while trying to run across the tracks to beat a Metra train.
The Union Pacific North Line train was headed from Chicago to Kenosha, Wisconsin. It struck 23-year-old Chase Church just north of the north suburban Highwood station Tuesday night.
Church was with some friends who also ran in front of the train. But they were not injured.
Church had recently graduated from the Great Lakes Naval Training Center.
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag 3 min ago
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 13 min ago
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown'
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos