7-car pileup leads to backup on I-80/94
March 1, 2011 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- Four people were ticketed after a multi-car crash involving seven vehicles on I-80/94 westbound Tuesday.
One minor injury was reported in the chain-reaction crash at the 11.6 mile marker around I-65. An ambulance believed to be en route to the scene got stuck in the ensuing backup.
Drivers are advised to expect long delays in the area and seek alternate routes during rush hour Tuesday morning.
Only one lane was open westbound for two hours, and a more than four-mile backup formed during the investigation and cleanup.
Indiana State Police say there was a disabled vehicle in the same area just before the crash. The first three vehicles that approached the scene were able to stop. But the next four cars could not stop and crashed into the backs of each other, pushing each car forward. The last four vehicle drivers were cited for following too closely.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home