Mailman is first Chicago 'Cash for Life' winner
May 19, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A North Side postal worker is the first Chicago winner of the Illinois lottery's "Cash for Life" instant ticket game.
Jose Garcia bought a $1 ticket at a Northwest Side pizza shop and it turned out to be a winner.
"We won $500 a week for life," Garcia said.
The game also includes payouts of $1,000 and even $2,500 a week for life.
Garcia says his lottery windfall will have an immediate impact on his life.
"It's exciting. This means I don't have to worry about how or where my next check will come from, thanks to the lottery," Garcia said.
Garcia said he plans on paying off some expenses and taking his family on a trip to Puerto Rico.
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area 27 min ago
- Woman pulled from the river in the Loop
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning 35 min ago
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler