Suburban man rebuilding a B-17 bomber
June 14, 2011 (MARENGO, Ill.) (WLS) -- Monday's crash of a B-17 bomber near Oswego caught the attention of a lot of historic aircraft buffs. No one was seriously hurt in that accident.
But ABC7's Frank Mathie found a man in the area who is restoring his own B-17 bomber.
In a barn in a rural area of the far northwest suburbs, an unbelievable restoration project is under way. A World War II bomber is being restored to flying condition. The man behind this almost lifelong dream is Mike Kellner. He and a team of volunteers is turning scrap into a flying fortress.
"This is a B-17E bomber that was built in '41. We've been working on it now for 20 years," said Kellner.
It's the same type of restored aircraft that crashed Monday, the same plane that turned the tide in World War II by flying deep into enemy territory and bombing strategic targets despite heavy losses.
And now this flying fortress, which was christened "The Desert Rat" during the war, is bringing back war images from another century.
But, for Kellner, it's been a takeoff on a long, long runway.
"We found it basically in a junkyard in Maine," said Kellner. "The people that bought it cut it up in to sections right after the war and then abandoned it. And that's the state we found it in."
The Desert Rat didn't see combat in World War II, but it do its part by flying wounded troops in Indochina from war zones to safety.
Why restore an old World War II bomber like this? Well, perhaps it is because of this: Over 4,000 B-17s were shot down with over 40,000 crew members. Now that's important history.
"Without this airplane, many have said that we would have had a hard time or maybe not been able to win the war," Kellner said.
Someday, Kellner's desert rat will be worth lots of money, but he's not selling. He's going to fly it. And when he does his spirits will be 12 o'clock high.
local, frank mathie
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 43 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant