Kirk backs lawyer for federal judge nomination
July 5, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Senator Mark Kirk announced Tuesday his recommendation of John Tharp for federal judge nomination.
Tharp seen on the far left was a federal prosecutor with the U.S. Attorney's Office. He's now a partner at the Mayer Brown law firm.
There were extensive reviews of 46 potential applicants for the position. Kirk says Tharp stands out above the rest.
"John Tharp is a corruption fighter, he is a third generation Marine who has given birth to a fourth generation Marine as well, a family man, a father of three. I look forward to the vetting by the department of justice and hope to have the honor of being nominated by the president," Kirk said.
The Tharp recommendation now goes to the U.S. Senate for advice and consent. From there it goes to the White House where President Obama will decide whether to nominate him.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard 3 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 9 min ago
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits