Fire crews battle intense blaze in Lowell, Ind.
August 10, 2011 (LOWELL, Ind.) (WLS) -- Firefighters had to fight hard Wednesday afternoon to control a large fire in northwest Indiana.
Crews battled flames at the former Rieter Automotive site, 110 W. Oakley Ave., in Lowell, Indiana.
A thick black cloud of smoke could be seen for miles.
The building has been abandoned since Rieter Automotive closed last November.
Investigators are now trying to figure out how that fire started.
Ten people who were inside the building got out safely.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Lawyer: No more appeals for Crundwell
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout