The original Sears Tower
October 12, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Sears Tower now goes by a new name, but there is another Sears Tower that exists in Chicago's history.
Now called the Willis Tower, the Sears Tower was built in 1973, and to many Chicagoans, it's still the Sears Tower. And it has a history that goes back much further than 1973. It goes back over a 100 years to Homan Avenue just south of the Eisenhower Expressway. This is where it all began.
"This is the original Sears Tower, built in 1905 by Sears Roebuck and Company. It was part of a five million square-foot facility and stretched for two city blocks and employed 22,000 people in its heyday," said Kristin Dean, president of the Foundation for Homan Square.
The Foundation for Homan Square is turning this neighborhood around and the original Sears Tower, which is 14 stories tall, will eventually be the centerpiece. On Saturday and Sunday, the tower and over 130 other significant properties will be open to the public as part of the Chicago Architecture Foundation's Open House Chicago.
"It's a fabulous weekend. It's free, behind-the-scenes access to over 130 of Chicago's great places and spaces. One weekend a year, October 15th and 16th, with no tickets required, no reservations, no registration," said Bastian Bouma, director of Open House Chicago.
Open House Chicago thinks this original Sears Tower might be one of the most popular -- not just because of its age and connection to Sears but because it's filled with interesting history.
For instance, back in the 1920s, the original Sears Tower is where WLS Radio went on the air for the first time. The station was owned by Sears, and that's where the call letters come from -- "World's Largest Store" for WLS.
Once a beacon in the business world, the Sears Tower is now in a state of rehab, but it's something you can still get a good view from during this weekend.
"They will be able to come to the top of the tower -- the only Sears Tower in the country -- and see this gorgeous view. It's 360 degrees, the best view of all Chicago in all directions," Dean said.
Ultimately, the original Sears Tower will be used for neighborhood cultural and musical education and performance.
mathie, frank mathie
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents 6 min ago
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting 23 min ago
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Triple Crown spoiled; Oxbow upsets Orb
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap 43 min ago
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Shootings leave 3 dead, several injured
- Man charged with recording video in hospital bathroom
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- Aguamiel serves up regional cuisine
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos