Proud, protective papa shows off baby gorilla
November 22, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- For the first time in six years, the Lincoln Park Zoo has a new baby gorilla. She doesn't have a name yet, but she and her mom and dad are doing just fine.
Regenstein Center for African Apes has been closed since the baby's birth last Wednesday. But on Tuesday morning it opened up again and the public got its first glimpse of the endangered little gorilla. She's the first baby for 16-year-old Bana and the first gorilla birth at Lincoln Park Zoo since 2005.
"It's the first time in six years and that's actually intentional. We've been keeping our girls on birth control for the last several years. We haven't had a breeding recommendation. We work cooperatively with all the other zoos in the country to make sure we maintain the population appropriately," Dr. Megan Ross, v.p. animal care, Lincoln Park Zoo.
Bana came to Lincoln Park Zoo from Brookfield Zoo last year to become a mom. Kwan, 22, is the father. He's a silverback lowland gorilla. Even though Kwan's in charge, Bana is raising the baby.
"Being a first time mom ... you know there are some kinks they have to work out but the baby is doing well. Nursing fine and every day getting stronger and more alert," Dominic Calderisi, lead keeper, Center for African Apes.
Baby girl and mom couldn't be doing any better. They're warm, well fed, and totally secure in Kwan's hairy hands.
"A silverback is going to be protective of his female. Protective of his offspring," Dr. Ross said.
There are eight gorillas at Lincoln Park Zoo: Kwan, his five girlfriends and two of his offspring, including the new baby.
"I think Kwan knows he is in charge of these females and he's been with those females and I'm one hundred percent sure he knows these are his offspring," Dr. Ross said.
"Silverbacks are extremely protective fathers and that's actually when they're most dangerous when they're looking after their offspring," Calderisi said. "Don't ever go in there."
lincoln park zoo, mathie, frank mathie
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters 5 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Schiller Park teen arrested, suspected in 30 Park Ridge car...
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Man accused in sex assault of pregnant ex-girlfriend 57 min ago
- Flight from O'Hare slides off STL taxiway
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- abcnews: Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos