Icy roads cause crashes around Chicago area
December 6, 2011 (WLS) -- Slick roads caught drivers by surprise Tuesday morning at several locations in the suburbs.
As many as nine vehicles -- including a semi-tractor trailer- were involved in a crash on southbound Route 53, which is impacting traffic on Northwest Highway.
Illinois State Police opened the left shoulder where the crash occurred on southbound Route 53 near Euclid. Earlier they were telling drivers to exit Route 53 at Northwest Highway (US 14).
This crash and several others appear to be due to black ice on the bridge deck.
Chopper 7 HD was also over a crash that included three cars that ended up in the ditch on the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway near Wright Boulevard.
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by 4 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 39 min ago
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout