Toll and parking rate hikes go into effect
January 2, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Drivers fresh off ringing in the new year will find area tollways, parking garages and meters ringing up higher rates.
Tollway motorists will pay nearly twice as much even if they have an I-PASS. The standard toll increases by 35 cents, 70 cents if you are paying in cash, which has some motorists thinking about trimming their trips into the city.
"We're still going to continue to come, but it's just, you know, somebody else trying to take a little bit more out of the little we have, so what are you going to do?" said Mike DeHaven.
Starting Monday, parking meters in the Loop go up from about $5 to $5.75 an hour. Other downtown rates increase by 50 cents to $3.75 an hour and neighborhood rates rise by 25 cents to $1.75 an hour.
Parking in a downtown garage jumped $2 more a day during the week on top of the existing $3 a day city parking tax that Mayor Rahm Emanuel instituted to help pay for CTA improvement projects. Weekly and monthly garage parkers will also pay more.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood 5 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 11 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 7 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business 3 min ago
- Midlothian's The Tint Shop burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
7 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
5 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
11 min ago
- Aperitifs, digestifs enhance meals at Sable
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos