Chicagoan sets out to perform 366 random acts of kindness
January 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On a messy day of rain, sleet, snow and wind, what could be better than a nice, warm, free hug?
Chicagoan Ryan Garcia gave them out at State and Randolph Tuesday.
"It was a New Year's resolution. I have a newborn daughter who is 4-months-old, and I just want to set a great example for her. So every day this year, I'm going to do a different random act of kindness," Garcia said.
Because it's leap year, that means 366 days and 366 hugs. So far, Garcia is 17 good deeds for 17 days in January. You can follow his progress on his blog at 366randomacts.org. It's a long 349 days to go, so let's hope goodness has stamina and goodness wins out.
"It's just to spread kindness. Maybe someone will see this and they'll do something nice for their neighbor," Garcia said. Tuesday's hugs were one of Garcia's more lighthearted random acts. It's good for a few laughs. But most of the other 366 acts are more serious.
"For instance, I sent a letter to a soldier in Afghanistan. I'm trying to raise awareness for a cancer patient. Just a bunch of different things like that," Garcia said.
The 30-year-old sales rep knows the year is young and he could run out of ideas. So he might need help.
"So my biggest goal is that I want people who are following me on Facebook to send me their suggestions. Something that's important to them," Garcia said.
Follow Garcia or send your random acts of kindness suggestions to Garcia at http://www.366randomacts.org/.
mathie, frank mathie
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs 7 min ago
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 2 bodies found in trunk of car in West Englewood 16 min ago
- How much money will be saved by school closures? 14 min ago
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests 46 min ago
- Saving on Gas? Fine Print for Rewards Programs
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
- Free movies at Millennium Park this summer
- Boy, 16, killed in Back of the Yards shooting
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security 6 min ago
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
7 min ago
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without...
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos