Teen's parents sue suspect in beach death
January 19, 2012 (WLS) -- A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed in a fatal Fourth of July beating at an Indiana beach.Kevin Kennelly Jr., 17, of the Beverly neighborhood in Chicago, died after being beaten at Long Beach, Indiana. His parents have filed a wrongful death suit against James Malecek, the man charged in the case.
The Kennellys claim Anne Malecek was drunk and became verbally abusive and then struck the victim's friend.
The suit says Kennelly's friend did not retaliate, but Anne Malecek contacted her brother James and sought to instigate a confrontation between the two.
Anne Malecek failed to tell her brother that Kennelly was not involved in the argument with his friend, the suit claims.
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos